I’ll be picking my trailer up on Tuesday. How do I ensure that I can keep it and it doesn’t wander off with someone else after it’s in my possession?
Basically, I can’t. And here’s why:
- Any kind of lock with a key can be easily lock-picked
- Any kind of wheel chock lock can be defeated by removing the wheel (and/or picking the lock)
- Bolt cutters / portable grinders can quickly go through just about any kind of lock
- Any trailer can hooked up to a truck with its chains and towed away
- Or placed on a flatbed tow truck and carted off
That pretty much means that no matter what kind of lock I use, it can be easily defeated by someone that has any skills at all. Given that realization, I think the best I can do is have deterrents in place on my trailer so that hopefully the potential thief will go to some other trailer.
I’ve also been reading a forum on trailer security at CheapRVliving, where some of these various ideas are repeated. One interesting item there is a reasonably-priced GPS tracking system with a 5-year battery.
My plan at this point is to get some basic locks on the trailer for now and as soon as I feel a bit more flush, buy one of the 5-year GPS tracking devices. If anyone has any better ideas, I’d love to hear them.